Friday, September 16, 2005

Mai Hime Review

Mai Hime - 4/5
Laugh at me and die, but Mai Hime is shamefully similar to Sailor Moon in many respects...and Power Rangers in others. It's basically about this academy whose female students have special powers and can call out special robot summon monster thingamablobs to fight for them as well.
Now, before you've lost all respect for me, let me just say that this series is deceptively good. After you get past the fact that the basic premise is so sad, the series is actually quite deep. The characters are likable, the plot is thick and interesting, and the series gets very dark and tragic towards the end.
It's not perfect though...I was disappointed with the battles mostly because I thought they relied on their summons too much (but then, I think that about all shows/games/etc with summons.) Also, the first half of the show is somewhat slow in terms of plot. It tries to spice it up with some humor, some pervertedness, and some perverted humor, but it doesn't always work.
I didn't like the ending either...a little too much "deus ex machina" for me. Although, that might just be me.

Stop staring you pervs.

No comments: